Quilting Design Process
- On the pattern there is a small image of the block in the upper right hand corner which is 1 5/8 inches square. Make an extra copy of the pattern and cut out that small image leaving a little border around the edges.
- Based on the size of the image 1 5/8 inches and the finished block size of 6 inches, I determined that the image needed to be enlarged by 370% on the copy machine. (Here’s the math for those of you who want to be able to do this for other block sizes: 6/1.625=3.7*100=370%.)
- Make a few copies can use them to audition your quilting designs.
- Look for inspiration and instruction over on Leah Day’s Free Motion Quilting Project
- Once you decide on your final design you can mark your block if you need to
My Splendid Sampler Block 1 – Hearts Aflutter Design Choices
- My block already has satin stitch around the heart applique chosen during block construction.
- Stitching in the ditch around the heart,the 6 inch square, and the corner triangles.
- Zippling inside the heart.
- Pebbling outside the heart.
- Straight lines in the triangles radiating out from the corners.
- In the border corners a set of three loops and then pointed arches on the top, bottom, and sides – this border design will be used for all the blocks to help tie all of them together.
- Of course this is just a plan, I can always change my mind when I sit down at the machine.
Until Next Time!