Time to quilt Block 1 – Hearts Aflutter! I made minimal markings only in the border areas since I plan on using the same design in the borders of all the blocks for consistency. I marked dots at 1 inch intervals around the outside edge. On the inside border I marked dots at 1 inch intervals beginning 1/2 inch in from the corners.
I used 10 inch pieces of batting and fabric for the backing. You could use a layer cake for the backing pieces, but I cut my own. I smoothed the backing, batting and then the block, but I didn’t baste it.
I did the quilting without breaking thread moving from one area to the next. Here’s the order I used:
- Started at the point of the heart
- Zippling heart bottom to top
- Stitched outside satin stitching of the heart
- Pebbling around the heart, stitching in the ditch around the triangles and straight stitching in them when coming to them
- Border design using dots as a guide
- Final stitch in the ditch around the inner seam of the border
Until next time!