I think this is my favorite block so far! I love the paper piecing technique. I am a former teacher, so colored pencils are close to my heart. You can get the pattern at The Splendid Sampler.
Here’s how I quilted it using the open toe free motion foot:
- Stitch in the ditch around each of the pencils and the pieces of the pencils
- Wavy lines in the “wood” portion of each pencil
- Cursive stitch the words in the center section of each pencil – I marked these with a marking pencil first.
- Straight line triangle design in the outside sections of the purple pencil
- Straight line squares design in the outside sections of the blue pencil
- String of pearls, pebbling, in the outside sections of the green pencil
- Straight line across each of the dark grey bottom sections of the pencils
- Stitch the border design like the other blocks.
The quilting pattern is clearly visible on the dark purple backing. Of course, the words are backwards there! 🙂
Until Next Time!
*Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links to Craftsy. If you use the link to purchase Craftsy items I will receive some compensation. It will not cost you any more if you use my links. I became a Craftsy affiliate because I love their classes and use their products.
*Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links to Patterns for Pirates and/or Love Notions. If you use the link to purchase Patterns for Pirates and/or Love Notions items I will receive some compensation. It will not cost you any more if you use my links. I became a Patterns for Pirates and Love Notions affiliates because I love and use their products.
*Quilt It Now! is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, anaffiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.